CORNELL UNIVERSITY PRESS
ITHACA AND LONDON
- Cornell University Press gratefully acknowledges receipt of a grant from
- the Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies
- at Yale University, which helped in the publication of this book. The book
- was also published with the assistance of the Frederick W. Hilles Publication
- Fund of Yale University.
- Copyright © 2011 by Cornell University
- All rights reserved. Except for brief quotations in a review, this book,
- or parts thereof, must not be reproduced in any form without
- permission in writing from the publisher. For information, address
- Cornell University Press, Sage House, 512 East State Street, Ithaca,
- New York 14850.
- First published 2011 by Cornell University Press
- Printed in the United States of America
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Hyde, Susan D.
- The pseudo-democrat’s dilemma : why election observation became
- an international norm / Susan D. Hyde.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8014-4966-6 (alk. paper)
- 1. Election monitoring. 2. Elections—Corrupt practices.
- 3. Democratization. 4. International relations. I. Title.
- JF1001.H93 2011
- 324.6′5—dc22 2010049865
- Cornell University Press strives to use environmentally responsible
- suppliers and materials to the fullest extent possible in the publishing
- of its books. Such materials include vegetable-based, low-VOC inks
- and acid-free papers that are recycled, totally chlorine-free, or partly
- composed of nonwood fibers. For further information, visit our website at
- Cloth printing 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1