CORNELL UNIVERSITY PRESS ITHACA AND LONDON
- (p.iv) Cornell University Press gratefully acknowledges financial support from the University
- of Iowa Office of the Vice President for Research and the University of Iowa Department
- of History, which aided in the publication of this book.
- Copyright © 2011 by Cornell University
- All rights reserved. Except for brief quotations in a review, this book, or parts thereof,
- must not be reproduced in any form without permission in writing from the publisher.
- For information, address Cornell University Press, Sage House, 512 East State Street,
- Ithaca, New York 14850.
- First published 2011 by Cornell University Press
- Printed in the United States of America
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Sessions, Jennifer E. (Jennifer Elson), 1974–
- By sword and plow : France and the conquest of Algeria / Jennifer E. Sessions.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8014-4975-8 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1. Algeria—History—French Expedition, 1830. 2. France—History—July
- Revolution, 1830. 3. Algeria—History—1830–1962. I. Title.
- DT294.S44 2011
- 965'.03—dc22 2011017247
- Cornell University Press strives to use environmentally responsible suppliers and mate-
- rials to the fullest extent possible in the publishing of its books. Such materials include
- vegetable-based, low-VOC inks and acid-free papers that are recycled, totally chlorine-
- free, or partly composed of nonwood fibers. For further information, visit our website at
- Cloth printing 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1