(p.i) The Total Work of Art in European Modernism
(p.iii) The Total Work of Art in European Modernism
Series editor: Peter Uwe Hohendahl, Cornell University
Signale: Modern German Letters, Cultures, and Thought publishes new English-language books in literary studies, criticism, cultural studies, and intellectual history pertaining to the German-speaking world, as well as translations of important German-language works. Signale construes “modern” in the broadest terms: the series covers topics ranging from the early modern period to the present. Signale books are published under a joint imprint of Cornell University Press and Cornell University Library in electronic and print formats. Please see http://signale.cornell.edu/.
A Signale Book
Cornell University Press and Cornell University Library
Ithaca, New York
- (p.iv) Cornell University Press and Cornell University Library gratefully
- acknowledge the support of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for the
- publication of this volume.
- Copyright © 2011 by Cornell University
- All rights reserved. Except for brief quotations in a review, this book, or parts
- thereof, must not be reproduced in any form without permission in writ-
- ing from the publisher. For information, address Cornell University Press,
- Sage House, 512 East State Street, Ithaca, New York 14850.
- First published 2011 by Cornell University Press and Cornell University Library
- Printed in the United States of America
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Roberts, David, 1937–
- The total work of art in European modernism / David Roberts.
- p. cm. — (Signale : modern German letters, cultures, and thought)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8014-5023-5 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1. Modernism (Aesthetics) 2. Arts, Modern—Philosophy. 3. Arts,
- European—19th century—Philosophy. 4. Arts, European—20th century—
- Philosophy. I. Title. II. Series: Signale (Ithaca, N.Y.)
- BH301.M54R635 2011
- 111′.85—dc23 2011021587
- Paperback printing 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1